Monday, September 21, 2009

Making baby food

So I decided that I'm going to make a lot of Gabriel's babyfood and I've started him on banana (last Friday). Since he doesn't eat much at once and bananas quickly ripen and go bad, I pureed the organic bananas in my food processor....


Until smooth.... and then spooned in to thoroughly cleaned ice cubes trays....


After they froze, I popped them out into a ziplock bag.


I now have 48 banana cubes - that will last up to 3 months in the freezer.


Each evening I pull out one cube and put it in the fridge to thaw over night


Then it's ready to eat in the morning. As it thaws, it has extra liquid which is great to mix the cereal in with it for Gabey's breakfast! I'll be doing sweet potatoes next and using the same freezing method.... Super easy and definitely cheaper than buying it in the store. Although I'll be buying some that I can throw in the diaper bag when we go out that doesn't need to stay in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. My boys didn't eat baby food - they went straight from the breast to table food (around 10 months), but Elise LOVED baby food. I made hers the same way, but mostly used vegetables as fruit is pretty good finger food. She at everything from peas and carrots to broccoli and cauliflower. She got really sick from store-bought baby food though - nasty blow-out diapers. I think because there's a lot more starch in them and the vegetables are cooked too long. I can't wait to see if Nicholas will want to eat baby food - it feels so good to make your own!

    ReplyDelete