Monday, June 1, 2009

Oatmeal Bread Recipe

Oatmeal Bread
From my mom

Makes 2 loaves (I double the recipe to make 4 loaves and freeze the extra so I don't have to make it as often)

Combine in large bowl:
1 c quick oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour (I use 1 cup)
1/2 c brown sugar (or honey)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
(At this point I add 2 tbsp of milled flax seed)

Pour over:
2 c boiling water
Mix and let cool.

Dissolve in a small bowl or cup:
1 pkg (2 1/4 t) dry yeast in
1/2 c warm water

When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast mixture.
Stir in:
up to 5 c white flour

When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured board and
knead 5-10 mins.  Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until
doubled.  Punch down, shape into two loaves, place in greased pans,
let rise until doubled.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Cool
on rack, brushing loaves with butter for a soft crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment