Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Birth of our son

God has blessed us a second time with our new son, Gabriel Isaiah.  My due date was April 4th but we decided to induce on March 30th - so that he didn't get too big...he had been measuring on the large side the whole pregnancy.  So at 3 a.m. on Monday March 30th, James and I got up, showered and loaded the truck.  James' parents stayed the night with Hannah and would bring her up to the hospital later in the morning.

We arrived at St. John's Medical Center, 6th floor - Labor and Delivery at 5 a.m.  After the initial sign in - IV, bracelets, questions, etc. the IV pitocin was started at 5:45.  At this point I was dilated to about a 4 and 70% effaced.  Dr. Donnally came in at 8:30 to break my water and the contractions started almost immediately.  I then went from a 6 to a 9 in 45 minutes.  After 2 1/2 hours of labor - it was time for that baby to come!  10 minutes after the dr. arrived and a total of 2 hours 41 minutes of labor, at 11:11 a.m.- we welcomed Gabriel Isaiah Gattis into our family.  He was 8 pounds 6 ounces, 21 1/2 inches long, with a headful of beautiful black hair.  He is perfect in every way and we praise God for a quick delivery and a healthy baby.  We are so thankful for Christen, our nurse who helped us through this and for all the other techs and for Dr. Donnally.  This was our first time at St. John's and we were so impressed with all the staff during our entire stay.

Hannah came to meet her baby brother just after he was born - but wasn't too sure about Mama holding someone else!  Although when she discovered the buttons that make the bed move she was thrilled and that made her day. :-)

After 24 hours both Gabriel and I were cleared to go home (or allowed to stay an extra day if we wanted to).  But going home sounded like heaven so we headed back on Tuesday, early afternoon.  

We are now trying to settle into as much of a routine as we can for now.  My parents are here helping us out until the 17th and then James will take off a few more days after that until I can handle both kiddos alone.

Besides sleep deprivation - I feel great!  God has really blessed us through this time - my body is healing faster than with Hannah, and I even went out to do barn chores after a week.  It's been wonderful having help here though as I get used to have two blessings from God and dividing my time between the two.  My heart is so full of joy that I can hardly believe it.  

Thinking about this time of year with Easter right around the corner... representing new life of Christ's resurrection and the new life of our son - James and I could not be more happy and blessed.  We praise and thank God for everything He has done for us and given to us.  We give Him all the Glory.  Amen!!

3 comments:

  1. Trying again with this post!
    CONGRATULATIONS AMY AND JAMES!!!
    Your new son is beautiful, and I was just thinking about him the other day, wondering if he'd made his debut yet!! What a great and efficient labor too..that's the best way, not so short that you feel like your'e on a runaway freight train and not so long you start to loose focus.
    May God bless your whoel family with every awesome blessing from His abundance!
    Lots of love
    Linda
    come visit me at my blog
    www.smithsoup.blogspot.com
    and see what we are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I am excited about following your blog. Don't worry about figuring the blog thing out...it will come with a little trial and error. It looks great so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for a wonderful labor & delivery! God is amazing! He is good and faithful in every way! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete